Plural Publishing, Inc.
Introduction To Sound: Acoustics For The Hearing And Speech Sciences, Fourth Edition
- Publish Date: 2017-04-03
- Binding: Hardcover
- Author: Charles E. Speaks
The beloved classic textbook, Introduction to Sound: Acoustics for the Hearing and Speech Sciences, is back in a new fourth edition and continues its aim to teach fundamental concepts of acoustics to students in communication sciences and disorders and related disciplines. Students in speech, language, and hearing science must have a thorough understanding of the elements of acoustics before they can successfully embark on more advanced study of both normal and disordered human communication.
The textbook is known for how acoustical concepts have been made understandable for all students, not just those who are already grounded in mathematics and physics. The book is appropriate for undergraduate courses in hearing science, acoustics for speech and hearing, as well as related courses in audiology.
NEW TO THIS EDITION:
- New chapter on Room Acoustics (Chapter 10) summarizes relevant concepts for classrooms as well as discusses principles and methods for assessing speech intelligibility/understanding
- Chapter 3 on Acoustic Impedance is now a new free-standing chapter
- Each chapter includes Practice Problems
- Several other chapters have been reorganized to achieve an improved focus and more logical flow of concepts
- Now includes a Glossary of key terms
- Information has been made more concise
- Access to a PluralPlus companion website that includes resources for both students (course notes, study questions) and instructors (PowerPoint lecture slides, related links.)
- Availability of 17 computer animations on the web to illustrate, in slow motion, elements of acoustics that are ordinarily too fast to visualize.
NOTE:This book comes with supplementary content on a PluralPlus companion website. If you purchase or rent a used copy of the printed book, the code to access the website printed inside the book may have been previously redeemed/used or be incorrect and you will not be able to use it. To guarantee access to the website, it is recommended you purchase a new copy of this book directly from Amazon or the publisher, Plural Publishing.