Developing A Patent Strategy, 2016 Edition: Leading Lawyers On Drafting Effective Patents, Seeking Global Protection, And Navigating The America Invents Act (Inside The Minds)
- Publish Date: 2016-05-02
- Binding: Paperback
- Author: Thomas R. Makin;Harrison Frahn;Patrick King;Daniel J. Burns;Eric Sophir;Robert M. Isackson;John C. Alemanni;Dr. Margaret Brivanlou
The field of patents is evolving once again, and this time, it has emerged with a new unpredictability for software. In order to overcome these challenges, you will need to understand the fundamentals of the patent strategies that will protect your client's innovation. Developing a Patent Strategy provides an authoritative insider's perspective for overcoming the very obstacles facing your clients today. This book contains insights on key tips for developing strategies driven by client business objectives and filing provisional patent applications. Featuring experienced partners from law firms across the nation, these experts give you best practices for assisting start-ups, established businesses, and international companies with portfolio development and overcoming challenges in a post-Alice marketplace. These top lawyers offer you specific advice on drafting claims, filing applications, utilizing provisional patents as an alternate form of IP protection, and considering settlement in patent validity challenges. This book also helps you navigate recent trends in the defense of patent cases, and outlines the impact of the Octane and Highmark cases on litigation. This book offers best practices for encouraging client cost-benefit analysis of the current marketplace and drafting their patents to evolve with their corporate goals.
Inside the Minds provides readers with proven business and legal intelligence from leading C-Level executives and lawyers. Each chapter offers thought leadership and expert analysis on an industry, profession, or topic, providing a future-oriented perspective and proven strategies for success. Each author has been selected based on their experience and C-Level standing within the business and legal communities.
1. Thomas R. Makin, Partner, Shearman & Sterling LLP- Navigating Today s Patent Landscape: Practical Considerations for Innovation, Enforcement, and Defense
2. Harrison Frahn and Patrick King, Partners, Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP- Patent Strategies: Driven by Business Objectives
3. Daniel J. Burns, Partner, Goodwin Procter LLP- Patent Practice After Alice
4. Eric Sophir, Partner, Dentons US LLP- Ensuring Patent Strategies Evolve with Corporate Goals
5. Robert M. Isackson, Partner, Orrick Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP- The Fundamentals of Patent Strategies: What Goes Around Comes Around, Proceedings and Rulings Change, but the Fundamentals of Patent Strategy Remain the Same
6. John C. Alemanni, Partner, Kilpatrick Townsend & Stockton LLP- The Looking Glass Is Blurred: Making Sense of the Patent Landscape After Alice and the AIA
7. Dr. Margaret Brivanlou, Partner, King & Spalding- Practical Strategies for Patent Portfolio Development
Appendix A: Motion to Dismiss and Motion on the Pleadings: No. 13-CV-04513-RMW and Related Cases
Appendix B: Examples of Claiming Technical Effect